Wednesday, July 15, 2009

this just in -- Deora III

_____


Both of these sketches were done after midnight, so these are being posted much more quickly than anything seen here before...



Maybe you've heard of the Deora, a show truck based on a Dodge A-100, which made its debut in 1966. Maybe you've also heard of the Deora II, a Hot Wheels model that was later built as a full-sized, semi-functional concept vehicle...

Well, the other morning I was musing about what I eventually realized should be called the Deora III -- and it was only later that day that I remembered, while writing about it in an e-mail to a friend, that one of the vehicle forms I was fond of sketching in the 1990s was the 'extreme forward control pickup'.


Tonight I finally did a couple of rough sketches. My scanner apparently isn't compatible with my current operating system, so I used the same little pink camera that has served me well for stills and video of my carvings.



These images are as raw as you can get [Can you tell they were lit with a 40-watt bulb?]. I almost want to do another sketch right now, but...

Anyway what I have in mind is somewhere in between the two in proportion, and there are many details to be worked out -- and some things I have in my head that just don't show up in these quick sketches.

Powertrain? As with all other Tellurian Motors offerings, the Deora III is a 'free energy' electric. Mechanically and structurally, it's a variation on BRUTRUCK. Please reference earlier posts for details.

In the sketches there is the barest hint of my intention to incorporate sideways-chevron-shaped 'bumperettes' at each corner. You may be able to imagine head- and taillight arrangements very similar to others in the family, but inverted.

Seating in the cab is for two and two only, in bucket seats just far enough apart to squeeze between -- there is a disappearing 'midgate' at the back of the cab for access to the bed, flanked by glass 'flying buttresses'.

Back in the 90s, when I sketched similar (but curvy) trucks, the concept was that they could be used much like small pleasure boats, but on land. The Deora III features hidden benches in the bedsides, that can be folded out flat for sleeping, sunbathing, or...


Could this truck be amphibious? Maybe.


The original Deora was nuts. It wasn't practical, but it was cool. The Deora II wasn't designed to be more than a toy. The Deora III (if I may call it that) at least has side-opening doors...



Stay tuned (and yes, it's going in the novel).




filsmyth
15July2009

_____

No comments: