Friday, July 17, 2009

Deora III or Salamander?


Check this page: http://onlineredlineguide.com/OtherRedlines_Deora.html


For about a decade beginning in the mid-Sixties, with roots going back to the mid-to-late Fifties, 'forward control' played a significant part in American automotive design. With the advent of the Deora show truck, a few customizers went wild...

Ah, but then the issue of passive safety won over, and American automotive design went to shit in general, and forward-control went by the wayside...

Do I have to repeat myself? If more of us were operating vehicles from ahead of the front axle, it would be more about active safety, as in making damn sure you don't run into anyone or anything else...


Well, brace yourselves. Are you ready for a throwback / flash-forward?



Before sunset I was out on the porch sketching, and captured these images on the hood of my 1981 Cressida (AKA Defiant II, awaiting electric conversion).










Raw? Absolutely.


'Salamander' is a name I came up with in the 1990s for a similar vehicle that happened to be amphibious.

I have no affiliation with the Chrysler Corporation or with Mattel (Hot Wheels), so if my concept is to be called 'Deora III' it will have to remain fictional and/or be endorsed -- or, built after the Transition, none of that will matter.

Right?



filsmyth
17July2009



_____

No comments: