Thursday, March 19, 2009

further and further out

_____




Sketches are rough, by definition -- but I can look at mine and be reminded of what was in my head when I put pencil to paper. Most everyone else just sees a rough sketch...

The curvy shapes I used to come up w
ith were much easier to draw, so I would go beyond mere sketches. My flat-panel designs? Not so much.

This whole theme of mine began with an image manipulation program, so it makes sense to revive it using one...





First the sketch had to be rotated so that the beltline would be on the horizontal, just to make it easier for me to work with. I then started selecting polygonal areas in new layers and bucket-filling them with colour. Copied the wheels from another image of mine, pasted them as layers which were then skewed for perspective and size. The rest involved manipulation of mostly polygonal selections, a little airbrushing...





...and for the presentation, some text and a background gradient. In the end I've completely covered over and obliterated the original sketch -- but its essence remains, and some elements needed to be revised.

Now of course the Time Further Out looks even more like the Aston Martin Lagonda by Sir William Towns, but as much as that car influenced this design, there are many differences to be found -- which will be obvious when they are parked side-by-side.



I've gained a lot of experience recently with the Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), and enjoy using it. Finally, I can begin to share images of my designs that more closely resemble what's in my head...





filsmyth
19Mar2009



_____

No comments: