Tuesday, August 6, 2013

LOSING MY AMATEUR STATUS?


In June and July 2013 I became inspired...


At the beginning of June I manipulated an image of a Tesla Model X, turning it into a ute-style pickup.  Thought it would be cool if they did something like that, but it isn't exactly an original idea, so I didn't think too much of it...

...Until later, after I came up with another couple of concepts for Tesla Motors that I thought were valid.  I did more image manipulations, and started sketching again.  The XT spawned the XTX, a 5-seater with falcon-wing doors...

I began to think that I would actually really like to work with Tesla Motors, which, as I look back, appears to be an unprecedented feeling.  In the 30+ years that I've been conceiving and drawing vehicles, there has never been a single manufacturer that has so captured my attention.

Basically I've always wanted to build cars of my own design, and not for anyone else, because there has always been an huge gap between concept and production, too much getting changed along the way.  The dream was (and still is) to have my own company, and so be free to dream up and build whatever I wanted.

How much closer am I to that dream than I was 30 years ago?

I've incorporated Tellurian Motors into a novel, along with a few other daydreams, but since the novel is still only in my head it's really no more than an elaborate daydream itself...



SO NOW HERE'S THE QUESTION:

Am I good enough at automotive design to become a professional?  More to the point, will Tesla Motors give me a chance to show what I can do?



At the beginning of 2009 (while I was still running Window$) I had an evaluation copy of a CAD program, and was in the middle of a project when the trial period ran out, just as I was getting the hang of it.  Soon after that I began using LINUX exclusively, and have not been able to find CAD software for LINUX that will work with my somewhat dated hardware.  I'm willing to switch to something from Apple and even PAY for software, itching to get back into 3D-CAD.

Meanwhile it seems pencil sketches will be the best medium in which to display my design talent, so I will continue with them.

Here's one I did yesterday:



If you search this blog you'll find posts on the Deora III from 2009.  I started sketching it again the recently after realizing Tesla's GenIV platform would suit this vehicle perfectly...



...Apparently trucks are next, after GenIII.


These images and more can be found in my Concepts album on g+, along with feature descriptions.  Often things get explained in more detail within comments on my posts.

I'm sort of building a portfolio, so expect the album to keep growing.

At some point, probably very soon, I'll have to go ahead and start sketching the GenIII car.  Franz von Holzhausen should already have a clear direction to follow for its design, and previously I had a wait-and-see attitude about this model, but showing what I can do with it may be the best way to get Tesla Motors' attention.


Wish me luck.






o_o

2 comments:

Aaron Turpen said...

http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/08/8-best-cad-apps-for-linux.html

filsmyth said...

Thanks Aaron. I tried FreeCAD in June 2011 and it didn't work so well... Installing the latest version, not expecting spectacular improvements.