Friday, December 19, 2008

The Big, Fast Limo

_____


For a VERY long time now, and thanks in part to a certain amount of influence from the works of Syd Mead, I've sketched various versions of a purpose-built limousine -- and by that I mean a vehicle designed to be a limousine, as opposed to a stretched-out sedan.

The layout involves a cockpit forward of the front wheels, a passenger compartment with benches facing one another in the middle, and (back when I conceived the vehicle type) an engine between the rear wheels -- basically an updated stagecoach arrangement...

To be clear, and to remind you, I don't sketch very much anymore.  I just checked, and it doesn't look like I've scanned any of my old pencilwork involving this vehicle type -- and I don't feel like opening the Pandora's box of all those old sketches just now.  Sorry, but this means that once again I don't have an image to share.


An interesting thing has happened in recent years:  Wheel manufacturers have been making them bigger and bigger -- not as big (yet) as what I used to put on my high-speed limos, but getting close.  This has made me consider designing something meant to take something as 'small' as a 36" rim -- but with the envelope being pushed as far as it is, I could probably ask a tire manufacturer to supply rubber to fit a 48" rim (4 feet) or even a set measuring 60" (5 feet).  Believe me, I used to draw them bigger than that...


Excessive?  Absolutely -- but there are buyers for vehicles costing millions (of dollars, Euros, pounds, whatever).  There's a market, and there's potential for profit.  It's just that no one has offered this type of vehicle yet.  With recent advancements in electric vehicle technology, owners won't even have to feel guilty about fuel consumption.


Just imagine, if you will, such a machine.  The lines are that of a sports car, but it's much, much larger.  You and your friends arrive in style, more than anyone has before.  It looks like it would do 200mph between LA and Vegas -- and maybe it could.

Please hire a competent chauffeur.



Phil Smith
December 19, 2008

_____

No comments: