Tuesday, March 4, 2008

anticipation

_____

You're just gonna have to wait.

Oh, I can see them, in my head, all the amazing vehicles I've posted about here, and more...


Do you have any idea how much I want to drive the Rumbler, that '34 Ford roadster shortened by the removal of the cockpit? Yeah, that's right, you open the rumble seat, raise the windshield, and climb in. Closed, the thing just looks like automotive sculpture, the only clue that it's more than that being the chrome handle on the lid -- and that's a clue just for those who know what a rumble seat is, and have enough imagination.

I'd paint it a dark reflective blue, of course... You want more details? Too bad. I'm keeping them in my head.


I still (or again) want the Brubeck to sport a pair of Kawasaki ZX14 engines, running on propane. Electric version later, sure...


I'd still love to resurrect the Checker Marathon/Taxi, as a business venture -- because no other vehicle could serve the purpose better than a Checker, and people still relate to that form as what a taxi should look like. Give it a body made from recycled plastic, a chassis capable of meeting modern safety standards, electric motivation, and a few styling tweaks by yours truly, and there you go. Build it in Kalamazoo, Michigan, as the original was. Put a lightweight shell on a monster truck chassis and call it 'Monster Taxi', for promotion...


Time Further Out? DUDE! You have no idea. This is a premium sedan, luxurious and sporty, done in my signature flat panel style -- in stainless steel. Yes, vintage jazz fans, the 'TFO' is named after a Dave Brubeck album -- and promises to be just as revolutionary.

I'm still struggling with how it will ultimately appear. It has to be the most elegant thing anyone has ever seen, and at once timeless and futuristic, so it's a tough assignment.



See, I'm not any closer to being able to afford, well, anything. I can carve 'utensil art' from wood I already have on hand, and I can write. All I really need, beyond the basics, is something to work with -- a creative outlet or two, or a few...

The carving brings me deep satisfaction. I swear, when I look at the finished pieces, even though I can recall every step of the process I can scarcely believe I had anything to do with such beauty. I remain in awe.

Writing? Well, I'm finally confident enough in my level of life experience and my writing skills, to be working on a novel.

The carvings are gifts. I could never put a price on them. The novel, well, it's probably also a gift -- but I do expect a lucrative publishing contract.

With book money, maybe I could build a car or two...


Meanwhile I have little time to be even writing about my automotive concepts, except within the novel. I certainly can't be expected to sketch them (or to resist, should the urge strike me) or hunt down a free CAD program. Rest assured, some of my concepts will be described as actual rolling stock, in print.




Phil Smith
March 4th, 2008





_____

No comments: