Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Pinto II


_____



There was a time in my life when I drove a green car. It ran on regular gasoline (with lead substitute, where I could get it) and leaked (and burned) oil, so it wasn't 'green' in the eco-friendly sense, but it was green all right, inside and out.



I loved that Pinto. Some of you will never understand, but for me it was the perfect car. I was single, and in my twenties, and didn't have a lot of money to spend. I didn't mind having to replace the spark plugs every so often, because they were easy to get to. I didn't mind buying Castrol by the case, because it had a nice smell as my German-built 2.0-liter overhead cam 4 burned it.

The seats were comfortable, it was fun to drive, and believe it or not, the main reason I bought this '72 -- and the '73 I had before it -- was the styling.

During the 1973 model year, Ford and other American manufacturers started putting big ugly bumpers on their cars, due to legislation that would take effect in 1974. Even imports got them. Nowhere else in the world was there a requirement that vehicles be able to withstand a 5mph front or rear impact with no damage, but we were stuck with it. These bumpers ruined the looks of many cars, and since the majority of Pintos were fitted with them I can forgive those who remember the Pinto as being decidedly unpretty...


Enter the Pinto II. As described in an earlier post, it is a completely new car inspired by the original, done in the Tellurian Motors flat-panel style. It's also electric, so it will be 'green' even if you order yours in bare aluminum.

No images to share yet, unless you count the finger painting at the top of this post...



Phil Smith
November 7, 2007


_____

No comments: