Monday, September 3, 2007

Electrum Update #1


_____



Of all the ways I could spend my time, as you can see I've been working on my electric supercar concept, the Electrum. The images above were done mostly in MS Paint, a program that is partly responsible for my flat-panel design style. It's becoming very useful for plan views of my recent concepts...

I probably spoke too soon, saying the Electrum would be only about 40 inches tall. If it were 48 inches tall (4 feet), then the 'Tenfold' rims you see in the top image would be 24s -- and someone like me (at 73 inches) will actually be able to fit inside. We don't want the car to be too difficult to get in and out of...

To that end, the doors open scissor-style, pivoting from the rear. Duck in and place one foot on the floor as you grab the steering wheel (or grab handle, on the passenger side), and rotate into the seat...

Yes, the frameless windows do retract fully into the doors. No, the omission of mirrors in the Paint sketches aren't an oversight -- cameras and in-dash monitors are used instead, as with all Tellurian Motors vehicles (though some will feature a conventional rear-view mirror).

The Electrum follows my basic formula of a spaceframe made of square steel tubing covered in flat panels, but especially with this model, there is a question of what body material to use. Aluminum is perhaps easiest, but stainless steel is certainly possible, as is carbon fiber. We'll leave that up to the individual customer...



Phil Smith
September 3, 2007

_____

No comments: