Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Highway Voltage

_____

Was doing a little online research this evening and eventually found a surprising number of photos and specifications of electric vehicles, the majority of which are conversions: EV PHOTO ALBUM

Some of these owners have the right idea -- converting interesting older cars into full-electric vehicles. Of course, any electric conversion is interesting, and arguably the right idea. Questions: Would you rather be driving an old Geo Metro, or a well-restored Volkswagen Karmann-Ghia? What kind of impact
will your conversion make with the public? If the only thing 'cool' about your electric vehicle is that it's electric, is that cool enough?

While some of these conversions cost surprisingly little, those are the ones with a low-tech approach. They have short ranges and mediocre performance. Still, they are a viable alternative for trips around town -- exactly the kind of driving that most motorists do most frequently. I know I rarely get our family car above 45 MPH, and rarely drive more than 30 miles a day...

I also know that my driving habits would change drastically if I had an electric vehicle. I'd be cruising around for the fun of it, like I used to do in my Pinto when gasoline cost around a dollar a gallon. Guess what that means? I'll want as long a range as I can get, and I'll want better performance than my Cressida gave before its conversion.

The good news, I found, is that my Defiant conversion is possible without having to pry the components away from Tesla Motors -- and it won't cost as much as I thought. It still won't be cheap, but it beats paying for refurbishments and performance upgrades on its original-equipment gasoline engine.



Okay, now let's imagine a Tellurian Motors dealership, with the Harmonic Conversions shop in back. Out on the lot are former project vehicles, ones that their owners gave up on after being faced with the difficulties of restoring or replacing their original gasoline engines. Others are well-kept examples whose engines weren't doing so well. Each will have been chosen carefully. Not just any car, truck, van, or whatever will qualify.
My 'quantum' mechanics will be kept busy enough with customer conversions, after all...

What's that you say? The lot is empty? You're probably right. If it's full, maybe there's a gathering of the local electric car club, all converging around the latest offering in the showroom.

That latest offering may be a Tellurian Motors original, not a conversion...



Phil Smith
July 19, 2007

_____

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.