Monday, June 11, 2007

Sketchiness, Volume Two

_____



Despite concerns, here they are... (all clickable for larger versions, as always)


This first represents early conceptualization of EXOVAN:




Originally, EXOVAN was intended
to have a vaguely egg-shaped exoframe over a flat-panelled body (as in the quick frame sketches above, done early this year). I don't mean to bitch, but the curves were next to impossible to execute with Alibre Design's trial 3D CAD. Okay, fine. A non-curved exoframe would be easier to construct anyway...

Then of course my evaluation period expired, ending my first foray into 3D CAD. If I can extend my evaluation at no charge, I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Nor have I actively searched for another program to use, or managed to get a Linux distro running on this machine so I can find open-source CAD to work with. Among other things, spoon-carving has been keeping me busy...

Today however I grabbed my clipboard and began to re-hone my pencil skills -- I will admit to being rusty. Here's a rough one:




Crude, but here EXOVAN comes to life in a way it can't in
CAD without hours and hours of work. There was another sketch on that page, but it's all cattywampus and generally ill (and not in a good way), so I did a crop...

Now to the next (below). The window treatment was not intended to appear 3D -- it just worked out that way. Maybe a version of that could work...





...but then, driver visibility issues arise, as well as problems getting the windows to open far enough.

Being positive about the sketch, it's good to see EXOVAN with conventional wheels (plus they're much easier to draw than Mattracks). The major reason Mattracks aren't more popular (besides the price) is that they can't handle sustained speeds above 40mph. I suspect that many buyers would not choose the Mattracks option -- and that most of those who would, would rather run their EXOVANs on wheels for 'regular' use. With this in mind, I can see that I ought to always render EXOVAN with a trailer hitch -- if for no other reason, so that owners can tow their Mattracks along for fitment at remote locales.

You see that I've done a 'Dutch' door treatment on the rear of this one, a glass hatch above dual swing-out doors. Maybe that's best, maybe it's not. There are many ways to execute that opening, but 'Dutch' doors are a good compromise and will probably be a good solution for the demonstration prototype. Also, rubber bumperettes...

OK now here we go, another sucky sketch:






Here you can plainly see solar panels incorporated into the roof, and side windows that slide sideways. This certainly isn't the most flattering render of EXOVAN, but the sketch is an important development step. Cooling and exhaust vents have been revised, along with forward lighting. A side marker light / turn signal has cropped up at the forward edge of the front-side window, plus we have front license plate mounting and more rubber bumperettes.

As with other flat-panel concepts I've worked with, I find that freehand sketches are a tough way to try and capture something like EXOVAN. I promise, with practice, I'll do better...



Phil Smith
June 11, 2007
_____

2 comments:

machinelf said...

Soo... you're re-inventing the Ark II?

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/ark.htm

filsmyth said...

EXOVAN isn't nearly as big as Ark II...