Monday, May 21, 2007

EXOVAN 2.0


This time I'm starting with the frame...


...and as the concept continues to evolve, the exoframe is no longer hanging out inches beyond the body. Instead (so far, only in my mind) it juts out like a metallic version of the framing on woodies from the 1920's and 30's. EXOVAN's framing is of square steel tubing, now turned at a 45
° angle.

This may make for a little more head-scratching during frame-up, but in the end makes the frame simpler and lighter. Yes, the idea of having bolt-on sections has been ABANDONED. The frame you see here is all welded...



Not that I know enough about structural rigidity, but looking at these images, right away I see a weak area in the floor that I'll have to address. Doesn't matter anyway, because what I care about is its function and appearance. Engineers will have their say.

This version of EXOVAN, once I add body panels, glass, and so forth, will be closer to the thing that will be built...

...and yes, one way or another, at least ONE example of EXOVAN WILL be built.

Dammit, it BEGS to be.



Phil Smith
May 21, 2007


UPDATE



Phil Smith
May 22, 2007

UPDATE 2



The evaluation period on my 3D CAD program expired today, but all that means is that I can no longer use online features. Not a problem -- hadn't been using them anyway. Above, you can see that I've begun to add panels after further frame reinforcements.

I know I've left a lot of things out, but I need to finish this 2nd draft before I start on the 3rd...





Phil Smith

May 23, 2007


_____

No comments: